The Houghton Regis Carnival takes place every July on the Village Green and it was first held in July 1981. The founder of the Carnival was Olive Burgess and each year a shield is awarded in her name for the organisation / business who contributes the most towards the day.
The Carnival is one of the highights of the year and always includes a variety of stalls and shows as well as the Street Procession.
The Town Council took over the running of the Carnival in 2002 from the Carnival Association and it is estimated that the event attracts approx 3,000 people over the course of the day
Themes for past events are as follows:
- Treasure Island (2012) (to view the 2012 Programme please click here)
- World of Celebration - Carnival 1981 - 2011 (to view the 2011 programme please click here
- Books and Stories (2010) (to view the 2010 programme, please click here)
- Films and Musicals (2009) (to view the 2009 programme, please click here)
- Under the Sea (2008) (to view the 2008 programme, please click here)
- Fairytales (2007)
- Carnival Silver Jubilee (2006)
- The Elements (2005)
- Back to the Future (2004)
- The Land of Make Believe (2003)
- 50 Years of Elizabeth (2002)
- Best of British (2001)
- World of Fantasy, Imagination and Dreams (2000)
- The Twentieth Century (1999)
- The Space Age (1998).
The 2013 Carnival will be taking place on Saturday 13th July 2013 and the theme is 'Time Travel'. To become involved in the Carnival or to find out more information, please click here